With or without you


You probably know the U2 song with or without you which is a staple on many a wedding playlist. For some reason every time I think of this song, I think about my loss of faith and simultaneously, the hope and excitement I see for my future.

The charge has often been levied and not without making me upset at times, that someone without faith in a higher being cannot be fulfilled or happy. I made that claim myself before. Because it was my world, my hope, my identity; to be without that is to be without form.

But the fact is on both sides of the great theistic divide there is joy and happiness. There is sorrow and heart ache. On both sides there is reason and on both sides there is inanity and meanness. With or without faith, people are people and they go through a vast array of emotion and experiences that make us question what the purpose of this brief fleeting moment on this little blue rock is all about. Does the question is there a meaning to life even make any sense to ask?All i know is that we don't know..We will all die one day, we just find something to give ourselves to, some meaning some purpose and pour ourselves out to that.

The refrain of the U2 song is "You give yourself away, you give yourself away, with or without you, I can't live with or without you". The song is about love but at the same time, love doesn't solve all as we're always told. It's a companion on the journey that we're all taking. A warm light in the dump darkness of existence.It won't save your life, but it will make it much better. And this love is not the purview of the saved nor the secular, it's there for all of us because this love is not from without us, but from with in us.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Refuge has its price: My visit to the Prophet Mbonye- led Fellowship of Remnants

The Disasterous Liberating Encounters of Love

Dont Act. Just Think : A short lesson from 2023