The Movie Trailer that triggered me.

Waco Poster
Taylor Kitsch as David Koresh in the new movie Waco



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6040674/

It's eerie seeing a movie about this. I was little but I remember it was a tragedy that the adults around me talked about this.
The early 90's were a time when I first remember understanding the world to be a tough, cruel place. I heard of a genocide in a place called Bosnia and in a beautiful country one of my mothers friends spoke of so fondly just south of Uganda.
Television was bringing images of war to the living room. My father would watch this and never send me out if the room when I asked if it was movie but told me that I should be grateful for the peace I enjoyed that the people we were seeing in great pain on TV were longing for. The TV became a fireplace of sorts where pearls of wisdom and rants about the world going mad and stories about the "good ole days" were shared over the years. He screamed at the TV as much during the world cup as he did when a running back tried to outrun the police in a white bronco in a place called America.
I heard about HIV and AIDS and saw two adults I loved and one class mate succumb to the scourge. My mother deftly explaining to me that I couldn't get it because I had been playing with my class mate. Her sister had it. She was careful not to raise a child ignorant of the humanity on the other side of the diagnosis.
All the same, I got tested.
I was 8.
Things from that era hold a special poignancy for me. I hadn't lost my innocence but I had a feeling that the sadness I sometimes saw in the grownups around me might one day be my own.
I'm watching this movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Refuge has its price: My visit to the Prophet Mbonye- led Fellowship of Remnants

The Disasterous Liberating Encounters of Love

Dont Act. Just Think : A short lesson from 2023