Why it's a good thing I was a saveddee !!







Good morrow friends, it being a Friday. I'll keep my musings short and buzzfeedy. Many of my friends (Facebook really has stretched that word!) know I am not religious, but once upon a time I was. I was saved, sanctified and sure of my trip to heaven. This was in my late teens and early twenties. As a result, my wild youth was more prayer overnights and rehearsal for worship in service than wild nights in the disco (that’s what we called it, kids) .

I regret some of this, but there’s also a lot that I got out of this experience so much so that I can never wish for a different experience. Here’s just 5 reasons

1. It’s okay to be weird.

I was listening to DC Talk (The Alt Rock Christian band from the 90's) this morning and I started to think about what if felt like to try and tell people about them. "What? Gwe, what fake music is this?"...Being saved for us meant not listening to secular music . Music was meant to be edifying to the spirit (The God breathed part of you) and the soul (Basically, you). So mainstream music, movies, fads etc were not to be trusted. Instead we had to cultivate our own thing. Become a curator of sorts of what was acceptable. This was tough because I’d want to fit in. But with time, I learned that liking what you like is more rewarding than following the crowd. Not to say that these are mutually exclusive. No. But there’s social resistance to doing things differently. Being saved allowed me to build up the muscles that allow m to carry the mantle of “Guy who likes weird things”

2. Faith without works is dead


We believe many things. We espouse ideas and carry opinions about how life should be. But only those you act on are truly powerful. This idea means I do not judge myself by just thinking the right things or agreeing with what’s right, but in taking action. You are a good person if you do good things. You have faith in democracy if you vote and actively participate. You have faith in your relationship when you make the time and effort to be with them. Like Jerry from Rick and Morty says, “Life is effort…”

3. Look inside

The world, the flesh and the devil. These are the three struggles that Christians fight against. At first sight, you might think they’re two external issues (World and Devil) and one internal (The flesh or the carnal mind). On closer examination you realize it all still comes back to you. The devil may attempt to throw you off track and uses your own desires to do this. The world can either oppress and persecute you or tempt you with riches and hedonistic pleasure. But it’s using your own weaknesses against you. Ultimately, the faith walk is about building up the fruit of the spirit, putting on the armor of God and moving forward. You cannot see yourself as a victim but rather a warrior. One who has the strength to conquer. The only person you’re in control of is you.


4. Be mindful who you listen to

You might think the walk is one you take a lone. No. People get weary. When weary they get tempted. That’s why the devil visited Jesus in the middle of his fast. So the focus on fellowship-breaking bread and sharing struggles with like minded people was important. You navigate a world of different opinions and temptations. You must engage with it. Yes, but, you also need accountability. Someone to ask you how you’re doing. Who’ll check you.


5. All pleasures are not equal

Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything.1 Corinthians 6. Basically, know the difference between things that give you pleasure but do not add something of value to you. As I grow older, I see that “killing time” and “just hanging” are alright, but you can go a level higher and do things beneficial to you. Learning a new skill. Helping a friend or family member. Reading books outside your usual. Whatever you’re doing, being mindful about it takes it to another level.

Also, the last bit about not being mastered by anything is key. The things we engage in a refuge from the world can become consuming. We can become mastered by the need to just watch TV. Or just go to the bar. The faith taught me that you must examine not just your challenges but your comforts as well.


Much of this can be learned without being saved. Sure. There’re many paths to living an introspective life. Mine just happened to come from being a mulokole. And I’m grateful for that influence even now that I have left the faith. Perhaps I would have gotten here anyway, but I got here through this path.


Have a lovely weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Refuge has its price: My visit to the Prophet Mbonye- led Fellowship of Remnants

Dont Act. Just Think : A short lesson from 2023

The Disasterous Liberating Encounters of Love